Thursday, January 13, 2022

The swan inspired some creative thought

 The swan that lives on Zarzamora Creek was missing for a couple of days.

The Wise Woman was concerned.

A cold snap had moved through, and I spoke reassuringly about how the swan had denned up in the cattails and rushes to get out of the cold.

I was surprisingly creative. I had all kinds of theories about what could have happened to the swan. My inspiration, I suspect, was the knowledge that a hungry dog — perhaps a hungry human — had found this big tame bird an easy target.

But the swan was back on the creek Wednesday. He was gliding along on still water.

The Wise Woman was happy to see him, and so was I. But I’m a little surprised at how easy it was to think of reasons to believe what I wanted to believe, and how hard it was to consider possibilities I didn’t like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blake’s paradox

 One of the recurring themes of this online collection of notes is that writing doesn’t start with questions of craft. It’s a recurring them...