Thursday, September 22, 2022

I'm just browsing

 You can see the way I think. I read something in Michael Leddy’s Orange Crate Art that reminded me of something I’d read by William Allen White, the old newspaperman from Kansas.

I found White’s essay in a collection of essays. But since then, these notes have mentioned several more essays, by other writers, included in that collection.

I write because writing is a species of thinking — that is, writing is a way of thinking. I like to think, and I think by writing and by browsing.

Browsing is important. It’s one the reasons that I have to go to the library. Unlike many people, I have to wander the stacks. One chance encounter leads to something else. I’ve learned to just follow my interests.

I could wish my mind were more orderly and worked more efficiently. But those regrets would be wasted. My mind works by browsing.

Incidentally, I’m fairly certain I bought this old collection of essays because I recognized the name of the editor. He’d written a biography of Thoreau I admired. Another example of how one small thing leads to something else, and sometimes to a long chain of thought.

• Source: The essay collection is Harper Essays, edited by Henry Seidel Canby; New York: Harper & Brother Publishers, 1927. And this whole chain of thought started with “The choices that news organizations make,” Sept. 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The first chilly day

  It was the first chilly day, 63 degrees when we started, heading from Alexander Lake to South River. We’ll have warmer days next week and ...