Thursday, September 15, 2022

It was the story Captain Billy told

 William H. Renahan, as a teenager, was a scout for the Union Army during the Civil War. He then came to Texas to work as a cowboy, freight hauler and buffalo hunter. He lived among the Cherokee for a while. He made some money as a railroad man. When he retired, “Captain Billy” settled in Alamo Heights, north of downtown San Antonio.

For a while, Renahan was a running buddy of Judge Roy Bean, purveyor of justice and whiskey beyond the Pecos.

Renahan said he once asked Bean: “Roy, I wonder where we would be now if we had our just dues?”

Bean replied: “In hell, I reckon.”

• Source: Paula Allen, “Frontiersman lived in Alamo Heights Home,” San Antonio Express-News, Sept. 11, 2022, p. A4. Allen’s column quotes a profile published in the San Antonio Light, May 22, 1939, when Renahan was nearing 90. If I were king for a day, I’d declare that every newspaper ought to have a column on local history. Allen’s is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The first chilly day

  It was the first chilly day, 63 degrees when we started, heading from Alexander Lake to South River. We’ll have warmer days next week and ...