Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Nine minutes with John Burroughs

 I stumbled across a 9-minute film called A Day with John Burroughs.

It was made in 1919, when Burroughs was 82. It’s a silent film, of course. But you can see the old man showing three children the wonders of nature.

Burroughs was a popular nature writer in his day. He camped with Theodore Roosevelt and Henry Ford. He wrote a biography of his friend Walt Whitman.

Burroughs was perhaps the most popular voice of the conservation movement. I’m just getting around to reading him.

And, yes, there is more than a little irony in a note recommending a film. When I was a boy, I really did promise my parents that, if they didn’t make me go to the movies with the other kids, I’d be good.

• Source: The film is at https://archive.org/details/ADayWithJohnBurroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment

The first chilly day

  It was the first chilly day, 63 degrees when we started, heading from Alexander Lake to South River. We’ll have warmer days next week and ...