Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Bunting: ‘Chomei at Toyama’

 I don’t know whether Basil Bunting was one of the great poets or one the great eccentrics of the 20th century. But I love his “Chomei at Toyama.”

Chomei, who was born in 1154, abandoned life in the big city and built a hut on a mountain where he lived as a hermit. He wrote a prose account.

Bunting translated as Pound did. So to say it’s “loose” probably doesn’t cover it.

Chomei describes terrible times: natural disasters and gangsters on the streets and in government. He gives up and builds his tiny house.

I have filled the frames with clay, 

set hinges at the corners; 

easy to take it down and carry it away 

when I get bored with this place. 

Two barrowloads of junk 

and the cost of a man to shove the barrow, 

no trouble at all.

He outlines a life worthy of Thoreau at Walden. He goes to the summit of the mountain and looks out over Kyoto:

a very economical way of enjoying yourself.

He has his books and mandolin. The gamekeeper’s son, 16, comes by for company.

He came planning to stay a month. Five years later, moss grows on the roof.

I know myself and mankind. 

• Source: The poem is here:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/20166/chomei-at-toyama

No comments:

Post a Comment

These woods were dark

  The woods south of Stone Mountain are always lovely and deep, but they are not always  this  dark. It was an overcast day in late summer. ...