I’ve begun to think that the tulip trees in Georgia are kin to the pecans in Texas. In Texas, a blackjack oak will stand up to a hurricane, while a pecan will shed limbs in a heavy mist or light drizzle. Tulip trees also shed mightily. And, yes, after the big storm, I'm still walking with my eyes mainly on the ground.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These woods were dark
The woods south of Stone Mountain are always lovely and deep, but they are not always this dark. It was an overcast day in late summer. ...
-
Willa Cather had a maxim: “Life began for me when I ceased to admire and began to remember.” She liked what the Greeks called anamnesis , ...
-
An appropriate read for Memorial Day? How about Alice Oswald’s long poem Memorial , which recounts how soldiers in the Iliad met their e...
-
Andrew Lang, a Scottish polymath who lived from 1844 to 1912, wrote Letters to Dead Authors . I like the idea of the book, rather than t...
No comments:
Post a Comment