Monday, July 1, 2024

Summertime, and the shade is impressive

It was an overcast day, and the woods were dark. If you were taking a photograph, you’d think about using artificial light. I have lived here for more than a year and I just can’t get used to the density of the canopy.

I grew up in the days when boys who were learning to take photographs carried light meters. I wish I still had one and could tell you just how dark it was. But the evidence of deep shade is on the forest floor. The ephemeral wildflowers that bloomed before the canopy got dense are gone. It would be hard to find a bloom now, though you see meadow beauties, genus Rhexia, at the forest’s edge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Claire Keegan: 'Small Things Like These'

 Claire Keegan’s  Small Things Like These  is my kind of book: short in length, big in scope. It’s about an Irish fellow named Furlong, a co...