Wednesday, July 31, 2024

The other one

 One day, I would love to see a story in the newspaper about the other Trump, the famous one, the one whose portrait is in the Tate Gallery.

He was a dog, loved by William Hogarth, who painted him repeatedly.

I would like to see a story about the pug because I think it might be significant, and a lot of stories that appear about the other Trump have a significance that is ... well, not obvious to me. I don’t think every bark the famous Trump emitted was significant, nor do I think that everything the other Trump emits is significant.

I wish newspaper editors would do a better job of protecting their readers. Some of the emissions that are like greenhouse gasses. If we could control them, we would change the environment for the better.

Christian Wiman, who edited Poetry magazine for a decade, said he learned to choose poems, not poets. Famous poets submit bad poems for publication. An editor who publishes them isn’t doing readers a favor. It’s a celebration of celebrity over significance.

One day, I’m going to see a headline about the famous Trump and I’m going to enjoy it. I love a good dog story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After the storm

  After Hurricane Helene passed through, we got out of the house, wanting to see what had become of the woods. We tried to make it to Panola...