Saturday, August 31, 2024

Lopez: “Apologia”

 Barry Lopez’s “Apologia” is one of his shorter and stranger essays.

Lopez makes it a practice to remove animals killed by cars off the road. He stops a lot. His list is appalling: deer, raccoon, rabbits, birds. He stops to removes butterflies and bees from the car’s grill.

This was a long trip, from his home in Oregon to a friend’s house in Indiana. As I said, he made a lot of stops, hence the words to his host on arriving later than he’d planned. I’d assumed the title would lead to another kind of apology.

In a way, the essay is an explanation for the way Lopez lived his life. Most philosophers I’ve read would take the idea of a private religion to be like that of a private language, a contradiction. But it seems to me that Lopez’s practice is what theory says doesn’t work.

I’ve never read a more moving account of the damage we humans are doing. And I stand convicted: I drive because I think this horrible slaughter is somehow justified.

• Source: Barry Lopez, About This Life; New York: Vintage Books, 1998. “Apologia” is on pp. 113-18.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After the storm

  After Hurricane Helene passed through, we got out of the house, wanting to see what had become of the woods. We tried to make it to Panola...