Thursday, October 10, 2024

Finding specimens

 If you walk with a dog, you must clean up after him, and it was while performing this usually unmentioned duty that I discovered a wasp gall.

The gall was on the leaf of a white oak sapling and looked like a fuzzy marble, almost as big as a taw. The gall will soon fall with the leaf to the forest floor. In the spring, a wasp will emerge.

It seemed to be Druon quercusflocci. If I were a certain kind of naturalist I’d put the gall in a sheltered spot in the garage, wait for it to emerge in the spring and try to identify the adult. But the Wise Woman would object, so I proceed with doubt.

But the greater question, it seems to me, is how anyone who doesn’t have a dog finds these little specimens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A smile on my face

 Oct. 15 is the first day of early voting in Georgia. We got out in the morning and were delighted to see crowds at the polls. When I got ou...