Tuesday, October 15, 2024

The notebook as a teachable skill

 I think that a lecture on keeping a notebook should have been part of my education. I probably needed several. Maybe one when I started high school. A remedial lecture when I started college.

I remember one lecture on the topic. It was presented by a scientist to a group of limnology students who were advanced enough to help the professors with research. The lesson was on how to keep a laboratory notebook. It was heavy on chemistry. (At one remote point in my life, I was proficient at the Alsterberg azide modification of the Winkler method for determining levels of dissolved oxygen in samples of water.)

I remember coming away from that lecture with a sense of clarity. I knew what the professor wanted. I had an example of how a gifted scientist went about his work.

I wish I’d had a similar lecture from someone in the humanities.

Sometimes I think this collection of notes is an attempt to fill in that gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A smile on my face

 Oct. 15 is the first day of early voting in Georgia. We got out in the morning and were delighted to see crowds at the polls. When I got ou...