Friday, June 6, 2025

The picture that illustrates the concept

 When I think of diversity, I picture plants of different species together. I think of wildflowers in a meadow — Indian blankets, bluebonnets, coreopsis, Indian paintbrushes, sunflowers and phlox. 

In the forest just south of Stone Mountain, I see stands of plants. I see perhaps a thousand pawpaws, a cloning plant, within the footprint of a house. I see a few willow oaks in that stand, but they are crowded and perhaps will be crowded out.

I also see stands of mountain laurel and wild azalea. I don’t see many individual mountain laurels mixed with other species. When I see a mountain laurel, it’s usually part of a stand.

Similarly, the fern banks along the creeks are dense. The forest floor seems to be carpeted.

We use concepts in understanding the world. They are wonderfully useful. But when we picture a concept, we should proceed with caution. Sometimes, the picture we have in mind does not match what we see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The first chilly day

  It was the first chilly day, 63 degrees when we started, heading from Alexander Lake to South River. We’ll have warmer days next week and ...