Monday, October 27, 2025

A poet and a cold front

 I could tell you that I lit a fire in the fireplace for the first time this season, but this is better: 

The first cold front came in

whining like a carpenter’s plane

and curled the warm air

up the sky: winter is

for busy work; summer

for construction.

 

That’s Alan Dugan, 1923-2003, a native of New York. Down South, the concept of seasons is a bit different. I’ve saved some of the heavy work for cooler weather. Dugan and I agree that spring is for planting and fall is for harvest.

Dugan is a new poet for me, and I’m still poking around the Poetry Foundation’s site. Thanks, Christopher, for providing the introduction.

• Source: Alan Dugan, “Winter’s Onset from an Alienated Point of View”; Poetry, April 1963, Vol. 102, No. 1, p. 11. It’s here:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?volume=102&issue=1&page=17

No comments:

Post a Comment

The public understanding of religion

 It seems to me that philosophers who are interested in religion usually skip the question of what religion is. The tendency is to start wit...