Saturday, October 4, 2025

Chestnut oaks on steep slopes

 The acorns of chestnut oaks look like chestnuts. I had to look twice when I thought I saw chestnuts on the ground, albeit without the hulls.

Quercus montana is not found in Texas so it’s new to me. People say it’s a ridgetop tree, and I could see why.

The acorns are round and big: if you played marbles as a kid, you’d call these taws or shooters. The slopes on the mountains of North Georgia are steep, and these big round acorns roll. I found several in fissures. They had “planted” themselves about as snugly as a farmer could have done it.

I’m not sure that’s the story I’ll find when I check the scholarly papers. But it seems like an evolutionary advantage to me.

I found Quercus montana in bunches on the steep slopes around Amicalola Falls.

Among the October blooms:

• Lobelias, with lovely tubular flowers. The ones I saw were lavender. I know they are in genus Lobelia — the trumpet flowers had five lobes, but I’d be guessing on the species. 

• Common jewelweed, Impatiens capensis, with deep orange flowers.

• Turtleheads, in genus Chelone. The common name comes from the flower’s shape. You can imagine a turtle sticking its head out of its shell. The common species in Georgia, C. glabra, is white. The flowers I saw were purple-pink-magenta and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The first chilly day

  It was the first chilly day, 63 degrees when we started, heading from Alexander Lake to South River. We’ll have warmer days next week and ...