Friday, October 10, 2025

Leaf fall and legend

 Leaves are falling in the woods around Stone Mountain.

The naturalist in me wants to hear about marcescence — how some deciduous trees hold on to their dead leaves through winter while others shed them.

Instead, I’m thinking of a Cherokee legend about when the earth was young. The people who were here before us said that all the trees were assigned a seven-day vigil, much like the trial that Cherokee boys faced as a rite of passage. All the trees were told to keep watch. They would get sleepy, but when they were exhausted, their medicine would come to them.

Only a few made it to the end. The pine, cedar, spruce, laurel, holly and their brethren are evergreen, a reminder that endurance is rewarded.

What to make of it? I love the legend, and I am amused that one voice in my head prevailed over another.

I’d say my sense of place is maturing, developing, ripening. At least I hope that’s true.

• Note: On the outside chance you really do need an explanation of marcescence, see “And baffled by the beeches,” Feb. 7, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The public understanding of religion

 It seems to me that philosophers who are interested in religion usually skip the question of what religion is. The tendency is to start wit...