Saturday, October 18, 2025

Writing and making a living

 The writer Thomas McGuane worked at gas stations when he was a kid in Michigan. He dreamed of being a cowboy out West, but he learned to do brake jobs.

He pursued his dreams, going to Wyoming to be a cowboy. Ranchers quickly figured out what he could and couldn’t do. McGuane went from ranch to ranch doing brake jobs.

The best literary interview I’ve read in a while appeared in Anglers Journal. McGuane was friends with Jim Harrison, and the two corresponded for decades. I hope one day to read those letters. But the best part of the interview was McGuane’s recollection of how he’d gone to graduate school and had planned to make a living teaching. He had $600 left from his fellowship, so he went to Montana to fish until he was offered a job. 

 

I thought at some point I’d figure out where I was gonna live and what I was gonna do. I had applied for teaching jobs at about 30 places, and I got not one reply. But then my first book came out, and it made a little bit of money. There was a movie sale. It allowed me to avoid making a decision. And 50 years came and went.

 

He’s 85, still in Montana, still writing, still fishing. 

• Source: Callan Wink, “A Conversation with Thomas McGuane”; Anglers Journal, Aug. 7, 2025. It’s here:
https://anglersjournal.com/people/a-conversation-with-thomas-mcguane/

No comments:

Post a Comment

The public understanding of religion

 It seems to me that philosophers who are interested in religion usually skip the question of what religion is. The tendency is to start wit...