Friday, August 21, 2026

A newspaper thing

 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a thing called UATL that I wish more newspaper editors knew about.

I prefer the technical term thing to a “dedicated media brand and digital franchise.” It seems to me that if newspapers create interesting things, they ought to come up with a better way of talking about them.

I like UATL, which is put out by members of the newspaper’s black culture team. One of the standing features is called “Let Me Put U On.” Writers put you on to something that you might overlook. One recent piece was about taking the time to find the liner notes in the age of musical streaming.

This week, a young business reporter named Mirtha Donastorg wrote on the habit or practice of keeping a journal. I’d spent the week thinking about writing and the craft of writing. Having a young person talking about the basics was just right. Her advice:

 

There is no right way to write. Just begin.

 

• Source: Mirtha Donastorg, “Let Me Put U On: How journaling has shaped my life, and can shape yours too”; UATL, Aug. 17, 2026. It’s here:

https://www.uatl.com/news/2026/08/let-me-put-u-on-how-journaling-has-shaped-my-life-and-can-shape-yours-too/

No comments:

Post a Comment

A newspaper thing

  The   Atlanta Journal-Constitution   has a   thing   called UATL that I wish more newspaper editors knew about. I prefer the technical ter...