I have never been able to explain what this online collection of notes is, but it appeared five years ago today. This head-scratching is my way of marking the day.
One of the early notes was about something that the poet Winfield Townley Scott had written:
I am trying to put down things I have thought — collecting them as well as I can remember … It is more fun than writing essays: arrangement, progression, transition, are hard for me to manage …
One reason for writing these notes: I love to read this sort of thing when somebody else writes it. Almost, I think, no matter who.
It seemed like an explanation to me then and still does. I just like notes.
• Source: The lines quoted are from A Dirty Hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott, University of Texas Press, 1969. The original note was “A bit more on noticing and collecting notes,” Sept. 15, 2021. It’s here:
Five years? Congratulations! And keep going.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Michael. I can't believer you started Orange Crate Art in 2004. Wow!
ReplyDelete