Saturday, August 1, 2026

What would Hoffer say?

 Eric Hoffer probably ought to come with health warnings, like those for cigarettes and alcohol. But I read him anyway.

People who read Hoffer usually talk about The True Believer. But I like his collections of items — not knowing what else to call his jottings. I was once told that Reflections on the Human Condition is a collection of aphorisms. But some of the items are several paragraphs long. No. 18 is more than 600 words.

Reflections is a strange book. I read it because of things like this:

 

It almost seems that nobody can hate America as much as native Americans. America needs new immigrants to love and cherish it.

 

I wonder what he would think of the hysteria against immigrants today.

• Source: Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition; New York: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1974, p. 34.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would Hoffer say?

 Eric Hoffer probably ought to come with health warnings, like those for cigarettes and alcohol. But I read him anyway. People who read Hoff...