The feel of autumn takes a while to seep in. It’s not, like the equinox, a precise astronomical event.
I often hear the word “melancholy” in describing it. But that seems off to me. The feeling is more thoughtful than sad. The main thought is that some things — well, a lot of things — are coming to an end.
In the garden, we moved the tomatoes that are in pots into the greenhouse. The tomato vines in the raised beds are still healthy, but I’m fighting the caterpillars of the Carolina sphinx moth for the last crop. The caterpillars — also known as tobacco hornworms because of the red-orange horn on the tail — can take the leaves and stems off a tomato vine about as fast as experienced thieves can take hubcaps off a car.
The caterpillars are beautiful — green with seven diagonal white stripes, trimmed in black. Those that survive will become beautiful moths.
We use no poisons, and the usual philosophy is to grow enough for all. But I draw the line at tomatoes. To me, it’s OK if some things come to an end sooner than others.
No comments:
Post a Comment